Vision Board for Kids 2018
Posted by Emily Harbrecht on 23 Jan 2018
Make this New Year the best ever! Help your kids to develop a growth mindset and to challenge themselves with compelling goals that inspire them. Encourage them to celebrate failure and focus on improvement more than results. Stretch them by taking them out of their comfort zone with new activities and experiences.
A Dream or Vision Board is a fantastic and fun way to do this. A perfect visual reminder to help focus them on achieving their goals and creating a happy life. These are valuable skills to learn in childhood and an excellent way to encourage reflection and personal growth. First of all, there are some things that you will need:
- A large piece of card or paper.
- Some pens, crayons or pencils
- Old magazines, stickers, pictures or anything else that inspires
- Scissors and glue
- Get your free printables and tutorial video here.
Now we need to get their brains engaged. Let’s start with a dose of gratitude. Ask them what they are grateful for. What makes them happy and secure? Appreciating these things is a great start to reaffirming their values in life.
Get your kids to think of the things that they would like to experience and achieve this year. Think of something new and different! Ask them what went well last year that they would like to build upon this year? This may be something as simple as learning to read or developing an interest.
What happy words and beliefs they will practice this year. Think of some affirmations. What about ‘I Can Do It!’ or ‘Believe and Achieve!’. There are lots of positive quote pics on our page for you to use!
Help your kids find pictures of the things they would like to see happen in their life. It could be a picture of a someone doing a sport, eating new foods, a trip, or something that makes them laugh or smile. What new things would they like to try? This could be hobbies, foods, activities or things to learn! This is all about creating new possibilities.
With all of this in mind, it’s time to get creative. This is an opportunity to imagine their ideal year. Their board will be a reminder of all that they want to experience and achieve. Draw, cut up pages of old magazines, use stickers, photos or anything that inspires creativity.
There are no rules with this activity. Let them go for it! When they are finished, find a place where they can hang their Board and see it every day. Their creation is a reminder of what they want to do, be and achieve. The pictures and images create a powerful point of focus and something to aim for.
Use your child’s Vision/Dream Board to reconnect your family with what really matters: quality time together. Create a new family ritual by making regular time to reflect and check in on your child’s progress. What is working well and how can they build upon it? If you really want to go for it in 2018 then do this as a family. There is something quite amazing about being on a journey together. What could you build upon as a parent or in an area of your own life?
Here are some inspiring questions to help your family reflect on 2017 and get fired up for 2018.
- What did you really enjoy in 2017 and how can you build upon that in 2018?
- What inspired you in 2017? How can you use this in the New Year?
- How will you be more confident this year?
- What inspires you or will inspire you this year?
- How will you know when you have achieved your goals in 2018?
- What new things will you try in 2018?
- What will you see, hear and feel when you have achieved this?
- What will you do more of? What makes you happy?
- What positive quotes inspire and motivate you?
- Who will be a positive role model for you in the New Year and why?
- How will you make a difference in the world?
- What new places will you discover or learn about?
- How will you keep going in tough times?
- What will you say when you look back this time next year?
- What books will you read? What music will you listen to?
- How will you relax and reflect in 2018?
- How do you want to feel in 2018 and what will you do to get there?
- What will you do to challenge yourself in 2018?
- How will you stretch yourself out of your comfort zone?
Have an amazing New Year!
Mind Tools for Kids