9 PLACES TO GET FISH AND CHIPS – EPSOM, EWELL AND SURROUNDS
Posted by Samantha Hicks on 31 Jan 2020
There’s certain British combos that just ‘go’ together – Salt & Pepper, Ant & Dec, and one in particular that can’t be beat – good old Fish and Chips! Whether you prefer a sausage in batter or a large cod and chips you’ve got to admit there’s something about the scent of salt and vinegar and the crackling of the paper that gets the taste buds tingling. Read on for my choice of some of the best chippies in the area:
1. Kingfish (Horton Centre, Epsom KT19 8HJ – 01372 747742)
Situated in a prime location for those in the Horton area this long standing takeaway was formerly known as Seafare. Friendly staff dish up everything from scampi to sausages with a smile, also offering a daily gluten-free batter option. Worth keeping in mind they accept cash only but there is a cash point just across the carpark.
2. Manning Fish and Chips (Pound Lane, Epsom KT19 8RY – 01372 721655)
Famous for it’s HUGE portions of chips – another that only accepts cash.
3. The Major Plaice (Market Parade, Ewell Village KT17 1SL – 020 3730 5969)
Like a phoenix this establishment rose from a recent fire to meals worth waiting for – dishes are cooked from fresh in front of you – you have the option of eating in as well as taking away. Parking can be a bit of an issue here although there are two public carparks nearby.
4. The Posh Plaice (Tattenham Crescent Epsom KT18 5QB – 01737 850808)
Living up to it’s name this eat-in has great reviews, their popular ‘posh combo’ is a dream for fish-lovers – scampi, calamari & whitebait served with a crisp salad and moreish chips.
5. Pisces Fish Kitchen (The Broadway, Stoneleigh KT17 2HU – 020 8393 8377)
This uber-modern take-out only chippie offers generous portions all round.
6. Blue Marlin (Craddocks Parade, Ashtead KT21 1QL – 01372 275914)
It’s all in the impressive presentation here, although we hear its a bit on the pricey side.
7.Seine Rigger (Nork Way, Banstead SM7 1PB – 01737 351168)
An upmarket, family run restaurant and takeaway that has been going for more than 40 years- they are proud to inform us that they only use ethically and sustainbly sourced produce, they are also licensed if you fancy a beer with your batter.
8. The Plaice to Eat (High Street, Epsom KT19 8BA – 01372 877649)
This centrally based eatery offers grilled or steamed options, along with a good vegetarian selection.
9. The Golden Plaice (Kingston Road, Leatherhead KT22 8BW – 01372 372210)
You can expect great customer service here, and the fish is apparently outstanding, all at a very reasonable price!
So there you have it, I hope you manage some to enjoy some of the these soon!